Thursday, July 26, 2007

IIS 5.1 XP cannot load asp pages

I have Windows XP Pro, SP2 installed and I cannot view my asp pages. I read all the posts in this forum, done every possible way that I could to solve this problem, but nothing seems to work.

I always get the same message:

The page cannot be displayed
There is a problem with the page you are trying to reach and it cannot be displayed.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please try the following:
Open the localhost home page, and then look for links to the information you want.
Click the Refresh button, or try again later.
Click Search to look for information on the Internet.
You can also see a list of related sites.


HTTP 500 - Internal server error
Internet Explorer


I had a problem at hand and lost 15 – 20 hours solving it!

The problem might be in 2 places:



1 – It is possible that IIs was not installed correctly. I uninstalled and reinstalled, but I still got the same problem. (Others with a similar problem solved it that way).



2 – Check if the Distributed Transaction Coordinator is configured to use remote host to coordinate transactions, if it is the case, it is likely that remote host cannot be contacted.

2b – Change that stupid setting to LOCAL, not remote host.



3 - Restart



You can configure MSDTC to use local coordinator by clicking MSDTC toolbar button in Component Services MMC snap-in (in administrative tools). Since further execution is impossible at this time, server process has been terminated.



It is possible that when you try to expand the My computer node it pops up with An Error occurred while processing the last operation Error code 8004E00F - COM+ was unable to talk to the Microsoft Distributed Transaction Coordinator



This worked for me:

cd %systemroot%\system32
msdtc -uninstall
msdtc -install



If this does not work try performing the steps in "Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 315296" to clean 'Clean Up a Damaged COM+ Catalog' (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315296) and then do the step above again. I don't think 315296 actually helped fix the problem; but I can't say for sure since I did do 315296 before doing the steps above. Therefore, try just the steps above first. If you do perform 315296, the following may apply: If "IIS In-Process Applications" and "IIS Out-Of-Process Pooled Applications" do not appear in the "COM+ Applications" folder of the Component Manager:


cd %systemroot%\system32\inetsrv
rundll32 wamreg.dll, CreateIISPackage


Finally, go to your browser and try:
http://localhost

you should get the IIs start-up page.

Do not forget to configure MSDTC to use local coordinator!

Good luck!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot I have spent the whole day trying to fix this buggy error but I did realize that COM+ was unable to talk to the Microsoft Distributed Transaction Coordinator after I rebuild it viola it was able to process any asp page.

Daniel
jmejorado@hotmauil.com